Pages

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Week #8 - Augmented Reality




Augmented Reality (AR) has always been this futuristic concept that the Discovery Channel occasionally ran features on. Recently, continuing my long line of handheld Nintendo consoles, I purchased a Nintendo 3DS. Packed along with the new console was a pack of cards I threw aside thinking it was just one of those useless gimmicks.

However, after a class presentation on AR, I got thinking about the little AR icon on my game console and the little pack of cards I was quite sure I threw away. Fortunately, I did find the cards and spent a good deal of my afternoon immersing myself in another reality.

It was nothing at first, just the screen on my console showing my table top and the lone card resting in the middle. Then, Super Mario popped up, on my table! I could even reach out to 'touch' him. What really fascinated me was I could pick up a feeble little card and Mario would come along with me, in my hand. 


"Augmented reality (AR) is a live, direct or indirect, view of a physical, real-world environment whose elements are augmented by computer-generated sensory input."

How will AR be able to benefit us other than entertainment-wise? Volkswagen has come up the Mobile Augmented Reality Technical Assistant App (MARTA) to help mechanics service cars by showing them the car's parts and even offering them advice on fixing problems. The app also allows car owners to see their car in different paints jobs or with extra accessories. AR can also work as a simple tool, like a business card, from the video below you can see how a business card can be transformed into a mini portfolio, just like carrying your resume or website in a pocket.


The concept of AR is indeed breathtaking. It will revolutionise life as we know it, changing everyday life, entertainment, healthcare, education etc. However, it is not without shortcomings as it will cause people to end up relying too heavily on AR, crippling them once the technology fails or malfunctions.

No comments:

Post a Comment